It's only natural to consider a hidden security camera in your home, especially if you live in an area with a high crime rate, and with the help of a mobile app, you can turn your old device into a fully functional hidden camera.
The following four high-quality camera apps require only an iOS or Android device and a computer to create an inexpensive and reliable security camera in minutes.
- Animated GIF notifications are exclusive to this app.
- The video stream is encrypted.
- The cloud save feature requires a subscription.
- An in-app payment of $1.99 is required to remove ads.
The AtHome Camera Surveillance App can convert any old iPhone, iPod touch or iPad into a hidden security camera as long as it has iOS 7 or later. Like other spy camera apps, AtHome will start recording footage from the iOS device's webcam whenever motion is detected.
What sets it apart, however, is the app's facial recognition technology, which starts recording video as soon as it recognizes a person. The app records the person, generates an animated GIF of the person, and sends it to you via push notifications.
View all recorded footage on another iOS device or computer. Recordings can also be automatically saved to an online cloud account as part of the monthly subscription service.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Clips can be easily downloaded and shared.
- Saving footage to the cloud requires a subscription.
- Charges for using multiple devices as spy cameras.
Manything is a free spy camera app that turns any device running Android 4.2 or higher or iOS 8.0 or higher into a security camera. Live stream video from the app on your main smartphone or tablet and receive alerts when motion is detected.
A useful feature is the ability to talk through a device that works as a camera. Use this tool to scare intruders, talk to pets on the go, or turn your device into a baby cam. However, there is an extra fee for extra features like cloud storage and the use of multiple devices as cameras.
- Get creative with your Xbox One console accessories.
- Kinect cameras can see in the dark.
- The Xbox One console must be turned on to run this application.
- You cannot use your Xbox One while this app is running.
Kinect Baby Monitor Viewer is a pretty neat app that Xbox One of Kinect sensorUse as a security camera or baby monitor. Features like night vision, motion sensors, and internet-free video make it ideal for babysitting.
One version of the app is installed on an Xbox One console to allow it to record video, while another version is downloaded to a Windows 10 device to view video streams from elsewhere in the house.
The downside is that the Xbox One must be running the app in order to function, nor can you use the console in baby monitor mode.
- All major hidden camera features are free.
- Recorded videos can also be viewed over the web.
- Extra features like zooming are behind a paywall.
- The app occasionally crashes on aging hardware.
Alfred Home Security Camera is one of the best hidden spy apps for iOS and Android devices. The app works by turning one smartphone or tablet into a camera and the other as a viewing monitor.
Once set up, the Alfred home security camera will start recording video when it detects motion. The app uploads all footage to a free online cloud account for later viewing. Additional features such as zoom require a paid subscription.