Both Proxy and VPN can protect user identities, and are excellent tools for accessing geographically restricted content. Users often interchange Use them. However, VPN protects user privacy, while Proxy does not, and does not support Internet security.
- 1 What is a proxy server
- 2 What is VPN
- 3 The main difference between VPN and Proxy
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions about VPN and Proxy
- 5 Should I use a free proxy server (Proxy) or a free VPN?
- 6 Conclusion
What is a proxy server
Proxy acts as an intermediary between the user client and the website. When users browse the website through a proxy server, the real IP address of the client can be hidden, and all traffic will be routed through the proxy server. The website only records the IP address of the proxy server and does not record the IP address of the client to protect the privacy of the client. However, the proxy does not encrypt traffic.
Proxy has a cache function. The content of the webpage browsed by the user will be stored in the cache area of the proxy server. When other users access the same webpage content, the data can be retrieved directly from the cache area without connecting to the website to download, which can effectively save the Internet Bandwidth improves the browsing speed of web pages. Therefore, Proxy is usually used as a cache node. Proxy can also filter web content to restrict users from browsing specific websites.
There are three main types of proxy servers:
- HTTP proxy: Mainly used to access web pages, filter web content and cache web pages. If an HTTP proxy server is set on the browser, all traffic on the browser will be routed through this proxy server.
- SOCKS proxy: This type of proxy simply transmits packets. In addition to accessing web pages, it can also be used for applications such as online games, video streaming, instant messaging, and P2P. SOCKS can be divided into SOCKS4 and SOCKS5. SOCKS4 only supports TCP protocol, while SOCKS5 supports TCP and UDP protocol. SOCKS5 supports identity verification and has better security. They can handle all kinds of traffic, but they are slower than HTTP proxies. But they usually have a higher load, so they are usually more popular.
- Transparent proxy (transparent proxy): This type of network proxy is usually used to monitor users’ network activities and prevent users from accessing specific websites, which users usually don’t know about. The existence of a network-like agent. Transparent agents are often used in corporate network management or family network control (such as monitoring children's online behavior), restaurants or hotels for identity authentication on public wireless networks. Companies or homes can also set up this kind of network proxy to save bandwidth.
What is VPN
VPN is to establish a channel between two endpoints on the Internet to access network resources in the other endpoint, just like a large local area network, which can be regarded as a virtual enterprise internal Dedicated line.
If the company has offices in various places, VPNs can be used to connect the intranets of the offices. Like Proxy, VPN also routes through remote servers, which can hide the real IP or location.
However, VPN will encrypt the traffic between the Internet and the device.
This means that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) can no longer monitor the Internet activities of VPN users and collect relevant data. In other words, external monitoring cannot know what users cannot do through the network. Encryption can also protect against government surveillance, website tracking, and hackers. VPNs can provide the ultimate online privacy and security.
In addition, both VPN and proxy service providers can record user data, such as user IP addresses, DNS requests, and other detailed information. Therefore, do not use such service providers. If their servers are compromised, user information will be leaked to advertisers, hackers or relevant government departments. If you want to be truly private when surfing the Internet, please use A VPN provider with a strict no-logs policy.
The following are VPNs with no log policy:
- NordVPN- The premier VPN service with a strict no-logs policy The server is located in more than 50 locations around the world.
- ExpressVPN – fast and reliable VPN service, Use RAM-based servers and do not save user data.
- CyberGhost – User-friendly service with Safe, own NoSpy server and guaranteed no-log policy.
- Private Internet Access – comes with a free ad blocker , To ensure data security on public WiFi networks.
- IPVanish – advanced security features to help you bypass Internet blocking in censored countries.
- PrivateVPN — Simple and easy-to-use VPN App, economical.
The main difference between VPN and Proxy
This is a quick comparison of the advantages and disadvantages between the two:
- VPN can encrypted traffic/information transmission a>, so it is more secure, while the proxy server will not. VPN service can protect from ISP tracking, government surveillance, and hackers; but Proxy proxy service does not have this function, so do not use Proxy to access and process sensitive information.
- VPN works at the operating system level and reroutes all traffic; while the proxy server works at the application level and only reroutes traffic for specific applications or browsers;
- VPNs may be slower than proxy proxies because they require encrypted data. However, there are many ways to improve the connection and browsing speed; Proxy only processes HTTP requests and provides the function of caching web pages, but does not encrypt data, so it can improve web browsing speed. (That is, VPN protects user privacy, while Proxy does not)
- VPN is usually paid (try not to use free VPN services, there are various restrictions and mining user data), there are servers in different countries to choose from; and most proxy servers are free (However, as with VPNs, try not to use free services, because these services usually limit traffic and slow connection speeds.)
- VPN connections are more reliable, and proxy servers are frequently dropped.
- VPN is usually used to solve the external network
Frequently Asked Questions about VPN and Proxy
Is VPN better than proxy?
Yes, a VPN is better because it routes and encrypts traffic through a secure server to provide privacy and security. The proxy only passes traffic through the intermediary server, but does not necessarily provide any additional protection. In addition, unlike a proxy, VPN works at the operating system level to protect all traffic.
If there is a VPN, do I still need a proxy server?
unnecessary. The advanced VPN service performs the same operation as the proxy server, and the proxy can be used to quickly change the IP. In addition, not all Proxy proxy servers are secure, and some of them may collect user data.
Can I use VPN and proxy server at the same time?
VPN and proxy can be used together, but some configuration is required. It is not recommended, and it is completely unnecessary. Because Proxy will only add an additional middleman, which will slow down the connection speed without obvious benefits. In terms of Internet connection, just use one of them.
Should I use a free proxy server (Proxy) or a free VPN?
Free proxy and VPN services may be at the expense of user safety and privacy. There is no free lunch in the world. Developers must make money in some way. If they use free services, they can spy on data in the background, bombard them with adware, or limit the amount of data that can be used.
Advanced VPN has invested heavily in infrastructure and provided first-class encryption, a rich server base, 24/7 customer support, and continuously improved services. It is recommended to avoid using free proxy and free VPN, because in the long run, the little money saved may cost more in the future.
VPN and Proxy are similar in that they reroute traffic through a remote server and hide the client IP address. Although there are many free proxy services on the market, VPNs are superior to Proxy in many aspects and are reliable and safe. It is recommended to use a VPN to protect the privacy and safety of users.