This tutorial describes how to download and install the NordVPN APP application on a Windows PC, log in and connect to the NordVPN server.
NordVPN download and installation
- Go to the NordVPN download page and click to download
- Then, in the computer'sdownload Folder find and click NordVPNSetup.exe document.
- A pop-up window will ask: whether to allow the app to make changes to the device. Click on yes And continue to set up.
- The installer window opens, click Next.
- If neededdesktopand / or Start MenuOn the NordVPN shortcut, select Create a shortcut in the start menu (create a shortcut in the start menu) check the box, and then clicknext.
- After the installation is complete, the system will ask if you want to start NordVPN immediately, click finish Button to complete the setting.
NordVPN is very easy to use on Windows 7 and later systems. Follow the simple steps below to set up the app and connect to VPN server.
- Click the NordVPN icon on the desktop, after the app loads, click Log in.
- Then the browser will open and loadNord accountlog in page. After entering the username or email address, click continue, and then enter the password.
Tip: Use strong passwords for NordVPN accounts, avoidVoucher filling Attack to ensure account security. It is recommended to download a free password manager, such asnordpass, It can generate a secure password and store it securely to avoid wasting time to reset the password in the future.
NordPass provides native apps Windows, Apple system, Linux, Android, with IOS, So you can access the password anytime, anywhere, even offline.
Connect to a specific country
- On the main screen of the Nordvpn app, you can see the server list and map. In the upper left corner, you can usesearch barSearch the server. In the upper right corner, you can click the gear icon to open Application settings. At the bottom, there isQuick Connect Button, it will automatically connect to the server recommended by nordvpn intelligent algorithm (according to user needs and preferences).
- Click the country icon on the map to link to this specific country server.
- After connecting, the country/region icon turns green. The Quick Connect status bar at the bottom shows: this linkProtected.
Connect to a specific server
- If you want to connect to Specific server, Click in the upper left cornersearch bar. Enter the country, category, or specific server number with a hashtag (for example, the United States #4425) to find what you need.
- After connecting to the server, you will see a white NordVPN icon in the system tray at the bottom right corner of the screen. Even if the app window is closed, NordVPN will continue to protect users' access to the Internet.
- The icon may also be hidden in the system tray, you can open it by clicking the up arrow.
- Right-click the NordVPN icon in the system tray for quick control: quick connect/disconnect, reconnect to the nearest server, open the app or log out.
NordVPN Server selection and switching
- In the left sidebar, you will find by country andProfessionalAll servers of the organization.
For example, clickspecialty Expand the category and hover overP2P , And then click the three-dot icon to select a specific P2P server from the menu. Other professional servers work in the same way.
- To view other professional servers, switch the connection protocol to OpenVPN, The example is as follows:
- Click to connect to a specific server.
exist" set up" In the tab, you can set the application according to your preferences.
- Launch at Windows startup: NordVPN runs automatically when you start your computer. Enabled by default.
- Launch the app minimized: When the computer starts, only the NordVPN icon is displayed in the Windows system tray (instead of opening the main window). Enabled by default.
- Show VPN connection status notifications:Every time you connect to or disconnect from the server, a Windows notification is displayed. Enabled by default.
- CyberSec: block ads and malicious websites (CyberSec: block ads and malicious websites):Protect against intrusive advertisements, malware sites, phishing links, and other threats.
- FromLanguageSelect the application language from the drop-down menu. You can choose English, Spanish, French or German.
- existLeft sidebar, You can also visitAccount details. ShouldLogout The button is also located at the bottom.
- Always when the app launches(Always when the app starts) Make the application automatically connect to the server at startup when using an Ethernet connection or Wi-Fi network. It does not apply to trusted Wi-Fi networks.Disabled by default.
- Auto-connect on Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi automatic connection) Make the app automatically connect to the server when it connects to the network:Insecure network or always. Disabled by default.
Insecure network: Automatically connect to the server when connected to an insecure Wi-Fi network. Insecure wireless networks are networks without passwords and/or networks with weak encryption. It only works when connecting to a new Wi-Fi network or switching Wi-Fi networks. It does not apply to Ethernet connections and trusted Wi-Fi networks. This setting allows disconnection after automatic connection.
Always: Only applicable to Wi-Fi networks. When the APP uses Wi-Fi, the connection to the server is automatically/notrustworthy. Unless you trust the current Wi-Fi or disable automatic connection, you will not be able to disconnect.
- Automatically select VPN protocol and server Let the appautomaticSelect the VPN protocol and server.Enabled by default.
- VPN protocol (After visibleDisableSaidChoose a VPN protocol and server automaticallyOption). UDP is mainly used for streaming and downloading. TCP is more reliable, but slower, and is usually used for web browsing. Use NordLynx by default.
- auto connect Select the preferred country or server type, and the application will automatically connect to these countries or server types. After selecting your preferred country/region, you can select a specific city.
- Trusted Wi-Fi network Disable automatic connection on specific Wi-Fi networks. For example, if you trust home Wi-Fi, you can make it an exception.
important: Connect to enabledInternet Kill SwitchofWhen Wi-Fi is trusted, Internet connection will be lost.
When disconnected from the secure NordVPN server,Internet Kill Switch willCut off the Internet connection.Disabled by default.
If you lose the VPN connection,App Kill Switch willClose the specified program. For example, if Skype is added to the list, NordVPN will close it when disconnected. Since it takes a few seconds to reach a secure VPN server, this will prevent data from leaking when automatically reconnecting to the Internet. Disabled by default.
Split tunnelAllow applications to be excluded from the VPN connection. In other words, the apps that you choose to add to the split tunneling feature will make them unaffected by NordVPN.
- Custom DNS Allows you to specify a specific DNS server for the NordVPN APP.
- Obfuscate the serverAbility to bypass network restrictions, such as firewalls. It is recommended to use this method in countries/regions with restricted network access.
- Invisibility on LANMake the computer invisible to others on the same local area network (LAN). Remember, once enabled, you will not be able to connect to devices on the same LAN, such as printers.Disabled by default.
- If you encounter technical problems,diagnosisWill run NordVPN diagnostic tool. Collect diagnostic data and provide the ticket ID to NordVPN Support for further assistance. If the ticket ID is not provided by the diagnostic tool, you can send the .zip file to Support.